Thursday, May 10, 2012

Master bath mini makeover - part 1

So, I am finally getting around to posting the
changes we made to our master bath.

No major remodeling, but I love how it looks
and it has made such a difference!
{this is gonna be a loooong post}
Here's what we started with:

you know, your basic builder cabinet/vanity.
(excuse the dirty mirror, I was anxious to get started)
Oh, and that super shiny absolutely lovely chrome light fixture.

If everything else in the house is brushed nickel,
why are these fixtures and the faucets shiny?
Hmmmm.  Good question.

First we framed the mirror...smudges and all.
Hey, it was just gonna get dirty while we worked, you know.
I'm not going to give you a tutorial...there are gobs, yes gobs,
of them on the internet including here, here, and here.

The paint color is Walnut Bark from Glidden
(wish I had done the Bittersweet).
I just used a sample sized jar.
(sorry this pic seems blurry)

I DO recommend using an adhesive that dries clear such as Power Grab...
AND painting the back-side of your moulding...
otherwise you'll be able to see it reflected in the mirror.

Since I had already been planning the vanity redo,
getting the mirror finished really pushed me to get it done.
I {love} my mirror like this!

First I took all the miscellaneous stuff off the counter and put it in the bathtub.
Well, where else would I put it?
Everything got wiped down with Krud Kutter before I taped every last little thing.
Two coats of primer then a base coat of the same color I used on the frame.

This is when I start to panic...

Right now I'm thinking, "what have I gotten myself into?"

But after another coat all was better, I stopped freaking
{a little bit}
and moved on to the next step.
Luckily, there are also several great tutorials on painting countertops.
Here are a couple I referenced:
Creative Kristi and Rhonda at Abide at Home.
Rhonda was super sweet when I sent her a question about something!

Here's what some scrunched up paper towels and
craft paint get you...or at least in the beginning.

I didn't do a "test board" like the others suggested...
I'm too impatient for that.
I figured as long as I kept working it, it would turn out just fine.
I guess I'm lucky it did! :)
You really just keep layering colors
until it looks the way you want it.

FINALLY...I put a gazillion 6 or 7 coats of polyacrylic over the whole shebang.
It did FEEL like a gazillion, though.

After a couple coats and several drip globs on the floor...
I hung some paper to minimize the mess.
I'm not gonna lie and say it wasn't work.
It wasn't hard, but it didn't take the weekend like I had hoped.

Of course, I didn't stop with the countertop...
but you'll have to wait to see the rest.
Here's a sneak peek of the top at least.

I hope you all are have a fantastic week!
Check back later for the rest of the redo! can now see it here!