Friday, March 1, 2013

Homemade Chicken Soup ~ Good For What Ails Ya

Whew!
I have been out of circulation!
 
And while I knew it was going to happen...
I was totally unprepared - blogwise.
 
Not for lack of trying.
I had a couple ideas for posts but couldn't seem to
pull them together to be ready for scheduling.
 
Oh well.
 
 
So, now that I am convalescing...I might as well get to it.
 
It's been cold and snowy and yucky here and the
other day I decided we needed some hot and hearty soup.
 
I had what we needed to make my world famous chicken soup.
 
 
Okay, so maybe it's not WORLD famous...
but everyone in my family LOVES it.
 
That's probably because it's the best chicken soup on the planet.
Just sayin'.
 
You start with some chicken {well, duh.}
Any chicken will do.
About 1 1/2 to 2 lbs.
Sometimes I use a whole cut up fryer...sometimes 3 or 4 leg quarters.
The other day I had 3 large breasts in the freezer...so in they went.
 
 
This picture above?
It's very important...commit it to memory.
 
I have had a hard time locating the large cut Veg-All and almost did
a happy dance in the grocery aisle when I found it.
Almost.
 
I wasn't feeling up to it, or I might have.

 
The other important thing is Paprika.
If you don't have any...don't attempt this soup.
 
Trust me...it will be a huge disappointment and you will
forever be sorry about omitting that one yummy red spice.
And may even be ruined of chicken soup for life.
 
 
Let's get down to business...
 
Bear with me...I don't usually measure things when I make this soup.
:)
  

Kelly’s World Famous Chicken Soup

1 ½ - 2 lbs chicken pieces
8 cups water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste (about 1 tsp or so of each)
1 tbsp paprika
1 bay leaf
1 ½ tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp dried parsley
1 29 oz can Veg-All large cut vegetables (or 2 of the smaller cans if unavailable)
2/3 cup rice 

In a large pot, cook chicken pieces in 6 – 8 cups water.  Also add bouillon, garlic, onion, salt and pepper, paprika, thyme, the bay leaf, and parsley.
Cook for approximately an hour…until chicken is tender and falling apart.
Remove chicken from soup mix and allow to cool slightly.
DO NOT dump water…this is your soup base.
Shred chicken and return to pot.
Add packet of vegetable soup mix, Veg-All, and rice.
Bring to a boil, and simmer about 45 minutes until rice is tender…adding more water if needed.


This soup is really thick, especially once it sits in the fridge overnight.

But it is OH SO GOOD!

 I recommend sampling as you go in case you need to add more flavor.
But don't burn your tongue like I did.
Like I said…I don’t always measure the spices…I kinda eyeball it…
feel free to add more if you wish. I totally would. J
I hope you enjoy this fabulous cold weather soup.
We certainly did!
 
 
Dishing it out here:
 


4 comments:

  1. I am all about the soups lately so I will be copying yours because it looks wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing this one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great soup recipe. We have a link party called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Blog Hop and would love to have you share this and any other posts with everyone. It runs from Tuesday night through midnight Sunday. Here is the link to the party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2013/02/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-blog-hop_26.html
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above

    ReplyDelete
  3. Show and Tell Saturday is still going strong at Sassy Little Lady! I'd love you have you join the party! :)

    http://www.sassylittlelady.com/blog/show-and-tell-saturday/show-and-tell-saturday-6

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly! This looks so good! You will be one of the features tomorrow at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House! Pop on in and grab a feature button! Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete

Sweet comments make me a happy girl!
I love and read each and every one!
I do my best to respond to all of them...even though it may take a while...questions I try to answer right away.